The Sustainable Endowment is written for executives and board members of small- to mid-size U.S.-based nonprofits, charities, or foundations. Running a nonprofit requires specialized knowledge and skills, especially regarding foundation management and investing your endowment so it remains sustainable for years to come. This book walks you through the basics and best practices of what you need to know to be successful.
The book is organized around 10 principles that provide comprehensive explanations and advice on the major issues that challenge nonprofits:
- Principle 1. Setting Up the Right Foundation Management.
- Principle 2. Create Responsible Finance and Investment Committees.
- Principle 3. Draft a Clear Spending Policy and a Sound Investment Policy Statement.
- Principle 4. Understand Global Market Volatility and How It Affects Nonprofit Investing.
- Principle 5. Determine the “Right” Investment Rate of Return for Your Foundation.
- Principle 6. Marry Your Foundation’s Asset Allocation and Spending Policy.
- Principle 7. Stay Ahead of the Market Curve.
- Principle 8. Fine-Tune Your Asset Allocation to Maximize Returns.
- Principle 9. How to Select Individual Stocks and Use Stop Loss Orders.
- Principle 10. Keep It Running Smoothly.
Whatever your level of experience in running a nonprofit, The Sustainable Endowment will enhance your knowledge and give you confidence in working with a financial professional to invest your funds and make them last for decades.
James E. Demmert has been managing investment portfolios for institutional and individual investors for over 30 years. His past experience includes positions with LF Rothschild and Lehman Brothers before founding Main Street Research, an SEC registered investment advisor, in 1993. He graduated from Harvard University.
A Statement From James
I am very passionate about investing as well as educating both novice and sophisticated investors. I am particularly interested in organizations that give back to the local and global community and adding value to their governance and investment expertise. It is wonderful that foundations and non-profits raise money for worthy causes, and it is equally important that these valuable assets be managed as effectively as possible.
Years ago, I felt the need to write about what we do for foundations and non-profits in an educational and interesting fashion. Over the course of the past two years this dream has become a reality. You will find that I wrote The Sustainable Foundation for a wide range of organizations. For some, this book will confirm what they may already know, and for others my hope is that it will provide new insights and ideas to make their non-profit or foundation sustainable for many lifetimes.
I hope you enjoy the read!
Stay Ahead of the CurveThe Journey to Wealth is your guide to investment success and a prosperous future.
Are your investments creating the wealth you desire, or are the ups and downs of an unpredictable market eating away at your earnings (and even your principal), while raising your stress level to the roof?
Do you understand the world of investing well enough to know how to generate steadily reliable returns that enable you to have financial independence and a comfortable retirement?